Today - One Ward, One Day by Nurses at MRI, Caro C and Kim Wiltshire

 

One Ward, One Day

 

Today Today Today Today Today Today Today

 

Today started with having a handover,

There was plenty of staff

Compared to yesterday.

Thereafter, we served breakfast.

I began to do my medications,

I also assisted the support workers.

Personal care,

The way you would care for your parents.

 

Today, quite a few surprising things happened.

Everything is kind of unexpected.

I got complimented off the matrons for excellent care.

My manager has said she would be very happy to be cared for by me.

A family member was very grateful of our support.

There is always someone who appreciate the little things you make to them.

There is always someone who’s smiling at you for no reason, you know.

That is why I’m in this profession,

I just want to make a difference in the lives of others,

Yeah.

 

Today the hardest part of my day 

Was trying to fit in seeing every patient that needed to be seen. 

Waiting for linen to come in to be able to get on with work.

Taking the observations of the patients, 

When patients’ families get upset because they’re in hospital.

 

Today for my break I just had summat to eat and a chill out time.

Cup of tea and my rice crispies.

Surfed a bit of Facebook, just to catch up on what’s going on.

And then I rang my family as well.

In my break, I sat, forgot work and ate tranquilment.

 

I’ve not eaten anything yet, not had chance today.

 

Today I haven’t had a break.

 

 

Today I heard that some patients passed away 

Before my shift started.

Our wish is to see every one of them go back to their family, you know, 

And when this tends to happen, we really feel it, you know, but…

Afterward, we move on.

We move on.

We move on.

 

Today I’ve heard call bells, door buzzers, fire alarm,

Patients shouting out.

Lots of interesting conversations between patients,

Shouts, screams, laughter, crying,

Obs machine, the IV fluids.

I’ve heard people smile.

 

The sound that was the most profound.

The fire alarm go off.

The fire alarm, because someone broke it.

The fire alarm.

The fire alarm went off, where is it, you know, 

Checking the toilets and the bay

To see if there is anyone smoking.

I asked why did you press it? 

He said, I don’t know, it was there.

The fire service, they came in and turned it off

That was today you know.

 

Today at the end of the shift,

I would reflect about how the shift has gone.

Change into my regular clothes and then hurry off to the car.

I will go home, kick my shoes off, ask my daughter 

To make me a nice cup of tea. And relax.

Relax and watch champions league.

My plan is to make lots of macaroons, coconut macaroons, for tomorrow for the patients.

 

Tomorrow I’ll wake up early and get myself ready for work,

Because I’ll be coming back tomorrow.

Probably do pretty much the same thing as what I’ve done today.

Tomorrow is my day off, and I’ve got to wait in for the gasman.

Tomorrow I’m expecting to look similar to today, 

But I’m hoping it will be better.

Tomorrow I’m back again, 

I’m very passionate about my job.

Tomorrow is my day off. 

I’ll look after my children in the morning before they go to school.

Tomorrow? Heh. I come back to work!

And give some macaroons away.

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Verbatim Poems with NHS Nurses

Thoughts on the Pandemic

Hello It's the District Nurse!